What’s the problem?

  • I am having issues getting my deposit back.
  • I’m worried I’m not going to get my deposit back.

What can we do to help?

On making contact with the Students’ Union Advice Service, we will:

  • Offer advice on how to try to ensure you get your deposit back.
  • Establish the facts in relation to the deposit deduction you wish to dispute.
  • Advise you as to how to challenge any deposit deductions.
  • Advise you as to what evidence you need to obtain to back up your case.
  • Advise you as to the deadline for disputing deductions.

How can you contact us for advice?

Email: You can email your query to us at suadvice@leedsbeckett.ac.uk and an Adviser will get back to you. Please try to give as much information as possible relating to your query when you email us.

Drop In to speak to an Adviser: You can call in to see an Adviser during our drop in hours either at City or Headingley Campus. You can find our drop in times here.

Phone to speak to an Adviser: If we have no Advisers available to take your call our reception will take some details from you and pass your information on to us and we will get back in contact with you. If we are unable to get through to you on the phone we will send you an email to let you know we have been unable to get through. If you have provided reception with details relating to your query, we can also send you information that might help. Our number will come up as withheld so keep this in mind when you are waiting for a call back.

Book an Appointment with an Adviser: We have a number of appointments throughout the week at both City and Headingley Campus’ you just need to call 0113 812 8400 and ask to book an appointment with an Adviser and reception will be able to see if there are any at a time that suits you. If not, then they will recommend one of the other ways of contacting us.

Case Study

The student’s problem:

A student contacted the Advice Service for advice about getting a deposit back on a property that he had rented for 6 months. He had tried to chase the Landlord up on numerous occasions but didn’t appear to be getting anywhere. 

Advice given:

The adviser advised him that if a Landlord takes a deposit for an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement then they are legally obligated to protect that deposit in a Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme and provide the tenant with certain prescribed information about the deposit within 30 days of accepting the deposit. The Landlord had not done that in this case so the adviser advised the tenant on what steps he could take (prior to going to court) in order the try and get his deposit returned to him. 

The outcome:

After sending a letter before action to the landlord threatening court action for the non-protection and non-return of his deposit the landlord returned the full deposit to the student.

Registered in England Company Number: 7103465
Registered Charity Number: 1139314