What’s the problem?

I’ve got a problem with disrepair in my accommodation.

What can we do to help?

On making contact with the Students’ Union Advice Service, we will:

  • Find out more about your issue and any concerns.
  • Advise you on the options you have to try to resolve those issues.
  • Advise you of your rights and responsibilities.
  • Help you draw up a plan of action and assist you with any documentation or correspondence where appropriate.  
  • We might refer you to any other Support Services as necessary.

How can you contact us for advice?

Email: You can email your query to us at suadvice@leedsbeckett.ac.uk and an Adviser will get back to you. Please try to give as much information as possible relating to your query when you email us.

Drop In to speak to an Adviser: You can call in to see an Adviser during our drop in hours either at City or Headingley Campus. You can find our drop in times here.

Phone to speak to an Adviser: If we have no Advisers available to take your call our reception will take some details from you and pass your information on to us and we will get back in contact with you. If we are unable to get through to you on the phone we will send you an email to let you know we have been unable to get through. If you have provided reception with details relating to your query, we can also send you information that might help. Our number will come up as withheld so keep this in mind when you are waiting for a call back.

Book an Appointment with an Adviser: We have a number of appointments throughout the week at both City and Headingley Campus’ you just need to call 0113 812 8400 and ask to book an appointment with an Adviser and reception will be able to see if there are any at a time that suits you. If not, then they will recommend one of the other ways of contacting us.

Case Study

The Student’s problem:

The student contacted the advice service for advice on getting some damp issues in their current property resolved. They had already sent emails to the letting agent (who were the landlord of the property) to notify them of the issues but they seemed to be very slow to act in resolving the issue.

Advice given:

The Adviser advised the student on what the landlord’s repair obligations are under Housing Law. They provided information on how to contact the Local council’s private rented housing team for further advice about the damp, and to request an inspection of the property to find out what the cause of the damp was. They advised the tenant on their options on either complaining to the letting agent’s property redress scheme or taking the letting agent to court for compensation if they failed to resolve the issue within a reasonable timeframe. 


After receiving advice, the student got back in touch with the letting agent to threaten further action if the issue was not resolved in a reasonable timeframe. The letting agent arranged for appropriate repairs to be carried out which did ultimately resolve the damp issues.

Registered in England Company Number: 7103465
Registered Charity Number: 1139314