Council Tax

Information correct as of April 2021. You are advised to contact the Students’ Union Advice Service for advice specific to your circumstances before taking any action. If you find any broken links please let us know as links may change without us being notified.

Housing Advice

What Is Council Tax?

Council Tax is a tax charged on households and not individuals. The tax is collected by the local council in accordance with Council Tax law.

The law allows for certain exemptions and discounts. If you are a full-time student required to undertake at least 21 hours per week of study, tuition or work experience, for at least 24 weeks in that academic or calendar year then you are exempt from liability. A household where all tenants are full-time students will attract no liability.

Please note that a non-student in the household will attract liability and will need to seek advice.

Confirming Exempt Status

Leeds City Council* requires confirmation from the University of your student status in order to grant you exemption from Council Tax liability. Please go to the following link to understand more about student liability for Council Tax: studenthub/council-tax

The University normally releases the ‘confirmation of status’ forms in November each year. Leeds City Council should be aware of this and you should not receive a request for payment before this date. However, on occasion, students do receive a demand for payment before this date and if this is the case you can download the form from the following link and send it to Leeds City Council: Students-and-council-tax.aspx

You should not ignore a demand for payment, even if you believe you are exempt, as any recovery costs incurred by the Council can be passed on.

Completing this form prior to November in any year will give the Council the information they need on your status as a student and anyone else you share a house with.

The University normally sends an email to all full time students around November time informing them that the certificates are ready to be downloaded from MyBeckett for forwarding to the Council. If you have difficulty printing the Leeds Beckett certificate please contact

This procedure covers Leeds City Council residents. Please check with your Local Authority if you are a resident within a different Local Authority area.

Contact the Advice Service