What’s the problem?

  • I want to make a complaint to the University.
  • I want to make a complaint about another student.

What can we do to help?

On making contact with the Students’ Union Advice Service, we will:

  • Discuss the details of your case and any concerns.
  • Explain the Complaints procedure and the relevant deadlines.
  • Advise on how to complete the forms and advise on what supporting documentary evidence could enhance the case.
  • Offer feedback and comment on completed forms prior to submission to the University.
  • Advise on the possible outcomes.
  • If you are invited to a meeting to discuss your complaint and an Adviser is available, they can attend with you.
  • Refer you to any other Support Services as necessary.

How can you contact us for advice?

Email: You can email your query to us at suadvice@leedsbeckett.ac.uk and an Adviser will get back to you. Please try to give as much information as possible relating to your query when you email us.

Drop In to speak to an Adviser: You can call in to see an Adviser during our drop in hours either at City or Headingley Campus. You can find our drop in times here.

Phone to speak to an Adviser: If we have no Advisers available to take your call our reception will take some details from you and pass your information on to us and we will get back in contact with you. If we are unable to get through to you on the phone we will send you an email to let you know we have been unable to get through. If you have provided reception with details relating to your query, we can also send you information that might help. Our number will come up as withheld so keep this in mind when you are waiting for a call back.

Book an Appointment with an Adviser: We have a number of appointments throughout the week at both City and Headingley Campus’ you just need to call 0113 812 8400 and ask to book an appointment with an Adviser and reception will be able to see if there are any at a time that suits you. If not, then they will recommend one of the other ways of contacting us.

Case Study

The student’s problem:

The student wanted advice about submitting a complaint about a member of university staff. The staff member concerned had made derogatory comments about people from a certain ethnic origin and they had also put on an accent whilst doing so. The student wanted to complain about this behaviour as he felt that it was racist. 

Advice given:

The adviser advised the student on how to submit a complaint to the University using the Student Complaint Procedure. The adviser provided the student with feedback on a draft of his complaint and supporting evidence prior to him submitting it to the University.


Once the University had investigated the student’s complaint, they informed the student that his complaint had been upheld. The investigating officer recommended that the member of staff apologise personally to the student and that the school write a formal apology to the student. 

Registered in England Company Number: 7103465
Registered Charity Number: 1139314