What’s the problem?

  • I’m thinking about changing my course.
  • I’m thinking about withdrawing from my course.
  • I’m thinking about suspending my studies.

What can we do to help?

On making contact with the Students’ Union Advice Service, we will:

  • Discuss the reasons why you might be looking at changing course, withdrawing or suspending.
  • Inform you of the full implications of any decision you might make.
  • Advise you on the procedure together with any deadlines
  • We might need to refer you to other support services to ensure that you are fully aware of all options available to you.

How can you contact us for advice?

Email: You can email your query to us at suadvice@leedsbeckett.ac.uk and an Adviser will get back to you. Please try to give as much information as possible relating to your query when you email us.

Drop In to speak to an Adviser: You can call in to see an Adviser during our drop in hours either at City or Headingley Campus. You can find our drop in times here.

Phone to speak to an Adviser: If we have no Advisers available to take your call our reception will take some details from you and pass your information on to us and we will get back in contact with you. If we are unable to get through to you on the phone we will send you an email to let you know we have been unable to get through. If you have provided reception with details relating to your query, we can also send you information that might help. Our number will come up as withheld so keep this in mind when you are waiting for a call back.

Book an Appointment with an Adviser: We have a number of appointments throughout the week at both City and Headingley Campus’ you just need to call 0113 812 8400 and ask to book an appointment with an Adviser and reception will be able to see if there are any at a time that suits you. If not, then they will recommend one of the other ways of contacting us.

Case Study

The student’s problem:

The student contacted the advice service for advice about how they could withdraw from their course and what implications this would have for them.
The student had been attending for a few weeks but due to not really feeling settled in and not making many friends they now wished to withdraw from their course and return home. They had been advised by course staff to speak to a Student Union Adviser about how to do this. 

Advice given:

The adviser explored the reasons behind why the student wanted to leave to their course and provided information on SU societies and volunteering opportunities that they could undertake to widen their social circle and meet more like-minded people. 
The adviser signposted the student onto other University services such as the careers advice service so that they could explore other course options both inside and outside of Leeds Beckett University, if they were not happy with their course.
The adviser established what student funding the student had accessed and what funding would be available to the student should they decide to return to another course in the future. The adviser also established what the student’s their tuition fee liability would be at the point of withdrawal.  

The adviser also advised the student on the rental liability for the property they were renting and practical options for how they might try to remove their liability to pay rent for the full fixed term agreement. 
The student directed the student to who they would need to approach to obtain a withdrawal form in order to formally withdraw from their course if they decided not to stay. 


Following receiving advice from the Student Union Advice Service the student did join an SU society related to their course and sought some advice from the careers advise service. They decided to withdraw from their course at a later point in the year as they realised that they wanted to study nearer to home. They contacted SFE to confirm how much funding entitlement they would have to be able to start a new course and advertised their vacant room in halls with the hope of finding a replacement tenant to take over their liability to pay rent for the full term of the tenancy agreement.

Registered in England Company Number: 7103465
Registered Charity Number: 1139314